Friday, April 12, 2013

Paramore - Paramore (2013)

 
"Lost the battle, win the war
I'm bringing my sinking ship back to the shore
We're starting over, we'll head back in
There's a time and a place to die but this ain't it"

Oh, Paramore. I can admit that I think you are awesome. Your songs are catchy, pop-rocky, a little bit angry sometimes, a little bit sad others, and just in general really fucking enjoyable. I first heard 'Misery Business' from 2007's Riot! on Guitar Hero. Yep. This song was my gateway drug in to your music. The addiction came to a new level when I heard 'crushcrushcrush' off the aforementioned album. From Riot! I explored All We Know Is Falling (2005). I fell hard for Hayley Williams' vocals and lyrics with guitar (formerly Josh Farro/now Taylor York), bass (Jeremy Davis) and drums (formerly Zac Farro) backing it up. Though maybe only minimal growth between these two albums, I still think these songs are great and listen to them occasionally. They were able to keep my attention, until, in 2009 Paramore released Brand New Eyes. This showed a real progression for the band in general, and particularly for Hayley as a vocalist/lyricist. There was no longer only one volume on the record, but a more vast dynamic range all around. This was actually no longer just a catchy band, but an interesting band that could hold their own. Clearly they were writing good music that served as radio hits but also had something more to it. I had Brand New Eyes on repeat and still take it out frequently. Cut to approximately a year later where the Farro brothers leave the band in a rather dramatic fashion - making a blog post about their struggles to have more say in the music and painting Williams as the sole controller and focus of the band. Whether there is truth to it or not is irrelevant to me. Now only 3: Williams, Davis and York, forged ahead anyway as the new incarnation of Paramore. I wasn't too worried since, as per usual, what I liked most about Paramore was the vocals of Hayley, but of course I was curious to where they were going to go next and how they were going to follow up Brand New Eyes. In summer 2011 they released a new single: 'Monster'. Practically a 'fuck you' to anyone who should question their commitment to the band and making music, and a promise to fans that they would continue to be Paramore. A phenomenal song (which I have probably overplayed but am not tired of somehow), with lyrics "I'll stop the whole world from turning in to a monster and eating us alive". They continued in the fall to release 3 additional songs for their 'Singles Club'. Another 3 amazing tracks that I also couldn't get enough of. Needless to say I was entirely psyched for the new album, expecting it to sound along these lines. A small step up from Brand New Eyes and with a new found defiance and energy to them, I was satisfied. It was not until April 2013 however, that the 3 members of Paramore (with additional drummer Ilan Rubin, also of Nine Inch Nails) released their self-titled album. I was looking forward to it of course, but it was nothing like I expected. In fact, it was infinitely better.

If Brand New Eyes was a large step up from Riot!, this album is on another planet entirely. Still distinctly Paramore but with so much more. They tried out many different styles here, and it worked. In an interview Williams describes trying everything once and seeing how far they can take things on the album. This is certainly true. Each song is a gem in its own special way, and each song is very special. Consisting of 17 songs and running at about an hour, this is already a pretty intense album for Paramore. Though 3 of these songs are interludes, they can still stand on their own pretty well. Here we hear more dynamic range, more interesting music, and Williams maturing as a vocalist. You don't feel like she's screaming out any more. The lyrics even focus on this fact, song 'Grow Up' for example: "Some of us have to grow up sometimes And so, if I have to I'm gonna leave you behind". Interludes 'Moving On' and 'I'm Not Angry Anymore' say this in no uncertain terms as well, and 'Ain't It Fun' tells of living on your own and taking care of yourself. No more high school drama for Williams, she's living her adult life now. There is some focus on their new incarnation as a band, as is to be expected. But it's a nice thing to hear they are moving on with their passion for music.

Though the tracks may sound like they take on a more serious air, there is still plenty of fun mixed in. In fact 'Ain't It Fun' is a real foot tapper, with some Motown channeling at the end. The love song 'Still Into You' (and the album's second single after 'Now') has an upbeat vibe to it that makes you want to sing along and rock that air guitar, it's a fun, feel good song by the band. Opening track 'Fast In My Car' catches your attention with its quicker beat and 'Now' is another energetic track focused on looking ahead to the future.

Though all the tracks stand out for various reasons, one of the most interesting songs for me (though not necessarily favourite on the album) is the closer 'Future', clocking in at almost 8 minutes. Which is insanely long for a Paramore song, with most being around or under 4 minutes. The track ambles about a bit, hitting different styles and finishes the last two minutes in what I would describe as a post rock style. The first time I heard it I thought my music player had switched to a different band entirely (This Will Destroy You was my guess at the time), but nope it was still Paramore!

In general the band's new self-titled is polished, mature, interesting and actually continues to offer a lot with each listen. It is less one-dimensional than their previous efforts, while remaining true to the sound of Paramore. This time around they bring a lot more styles and sounds and it seems they've really grown as a band. Normally I wouldn't say that a Paramore album should be so respected but what they've done here is beyond what you would come to expect from these 3. Awesome album and kudos to them! Seems it's already getting a lot of praise, as it should. I have a feeling it's going to be the pop-rock album of the year for me (not that I listen to too much of that stuff but you know).


http://cdn.idolator.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/09/paramore-self-titled-cover-400x400.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment