Monday, January 2, 2012

SBTRKT - SBTRKT (2011)


"When something goes right..."

It took me several minutes to realize that SBTRKT=subtract. After thinking about it for longer than I'd like to admit, I finally figured out what it meant. No longer was I sounding stupid (in my head) saying, literally, "s-b-t-r-k-t". Seriously, give it a try, it sounds awkward. Anyway. SBTRKT is Aaron Jerome from London, UK, and includes, technically speaking, frequent collaborator Sampha. SBTRKT has released a string of singles and EPs before releasing the self-titled debut this year. I miraculously discovered this gem through a "Best of 2011" list, where their #2 pick was an album I had already listened to and loved. I thought may as well give this a try, they must have good taste, and I'm always looking for new music. They (Drowned in Sound) didn't steer me wrong.

Adding a nearly indescribable warmth to dubstep, or electronic, or drum 'n' bass, or whatever the fuck you want to call it, SBTRKT manage to take the listener on an emotionally charged, groovy trip from start to finish. The vocals of Sampha feature on several tracks, as well as those of Jessie Ware, adding a feminine touch to the tracks she sings on. This album will drag you in and make you want to dance as well as take some time for reflection. A difficult task for any artist, let alone an electronic one. 

The image on the front cover of a face in a ceremonial mask gives you the vibe of something native and mystic. This is a good way to describe the sounds on the album as well. Jerome has stated that he would prefer the "music to speak for itself", and the name SBTRKT comes from "subtracting" himself from the process. The music here certainly speaks for itself, and as such you'll want to spin this on repeat. Part of its charm is perhaps the fact that it doesn't take a lot of time to sink in, it instantly clicks and you find yourself enraptured by its sound. 

I've seen this compared to Burial and Aphex Twin, however I don't see the resemblance. SBTRKT has a significantly more personal nature. It also possesses a feeling of comfort, all the while keeping its mystique. Although this album still sounds modern, no one can be surprised that this was released in 2011, it lacks the cold, detached feel that the aforementioned artists have. (Not to say that I'm not a fan of both Burial and Aphex Twin). 

The best way for me to describe this is that this is a great album for those looking for an out of body experience. Calling this dubstep or electronic would be selling the whole thing short. Maybe we can call it soul-electronic or soul-dubstep. It certainly has a spirit of its own.


2 comments:

  1. So I listened to a handful of tracks from this after reading your blog and I didn't really get it. Dub-step is a bit lost on me... Didn't realize you were into that sort of thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah too bad you aren't into it! I do really enjoy it. I'm not picky when it comes to genres, as long as I like it.

    ReplyDelete